Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Biggest Loser

So about three weeks ago I joined Biggest Loser with a group of friends both far and near.
My commitment was unstable. While I want to lose weight, I didn't like the price it came with. Looking at numbers, going to the gym, eating healthy.
But then Ava got sick. While its been a horrible ride with fevers and coughing and such, it may have been a blessing in disguise.
After almost 8 years of Starbucks ALMOST everyday, I gave up Starbucks. My last Starbucks was last Saturday January 21st and my last soda (not even thinking about it, I just randomly gave it up) was Friday January 20th.
Two major staples in my life, I just gave up. Not even intending to, I just gave them up. While I've had a headache or two from the caffeine withdrawals, I feel pretty healthy.
It occurred to me yesterday, that maybe my view of weight loss has been wrong all these years. Maybe I've been too focused on the scale, focused on what I'm giving up instead of what I'm gaining. I'm on about week three of eating at home. I've given up soda. I've gained, confidence to cook meals at home. I gained a better understanding of what's better for our family. I feel like I'm now better able to lead by example especially for Ava, to eat better, to eat at home and to eat something other than cookies, candy, morning buns and calorie infested drinks from Starbucks.
So while I've gained knowledge, understanding and confidence; I've lost a pound! An entire pound, with out actually doing much other than eliminating bad drinks in my diet.
I have a whole new outlook on this Biggest Loser.
I hope by the end, I will be the biggest gainer. Not by pounds, but by knowledge. I want to eat better, I want to learn to love veggies.
I'm taking one day at a time. While I seemed to have eliminated the most vital part of my being (yes, I know, its sad but I did actually define myself by Starbucks and soda), I still have a long ways to go before I reach a healthy life style. If by the end of this contest, I can get dinner on the table with meat (or protein), veggies and possibly fruit, I will feel like I've done my job as a wife and mother. I will consider myself a warrior if I can actually get my family to eat all of these things with me. My biggest challenge, my baby girl who decided recently she is a picky eater.
So I want to be the biggest winner, not of the contest, but by a healthier life style.

No comments:

Post a Comment